Over the last 5 weeks, I have been attending the Building a Second Brain program from the world-leading productivity and knowledge management expert Tiago Forte. Over the last decade, I have been a course junkie attending course after course with no tangible outcomes to show for knowledge consumption. This time around, I decided to zone in and put the time and effort required to not just complete the course but implement everything I learnt. I faithfully attended every live session and mentoring sessions some of which were at the oddest times of the day.
To say that the program has been life-changing is probably an understatement. This is not just another course. It’s an immersive live learning experience. If I ever create a course or program, this is how I will do it. We had live sessions, mentoring sessions, virtual breakout rooms and online discussions. The content was up to date and so relevant. It was so inspiring to interact with other course participants and see how different people take the same knowledge and apply it.
When I joined the course, here is what I was struggling with:
- Information overwhelm based on the sheer volume of articles, books, videos, tweet and other content we are exposed to every day. How do I pick what to consume and what to leave out?
- Information management. How do I organise and consolidate everything I learn and use it to move my life forward. I really was an information hoarder, always collecting content and never really revisiting or using it.
- Consumption versus action. I would find consuming more and more information without taking time to reflect and implement what I have learnt. This also came in the form of endless research before producing anything.
- Productivity. How do become more organised and increase my creative output? My goal is to create more than I consume.
The course has had so much impact in my life than I expected. Some of the key outcomes from the experience have been:
- This daily blog where I have been publishing every single day for the last 21 days. I now feel confident as a writer and can create content without writer’s block.
- I’ve rolled out a number of productivity apps like Evernote, Bear, Todoist and Notion to streamline my day and give myself the best chance to succeed.
- My podcast which I have been procrastinating on for the last 3 years should be out in the next 3 weeks.
- I now have a process and criteria for selecting the information I consume and sharing the lessons.
- I genuinely feel a big weight off my shoulders as I feeling like I am making genuine progress towards a long term goal.
I’ll post further updates as I implement. If the program ever comes up for enrolment, consider it. In the meantime, you can check out Tiago’s Blog.